Exercise your brain with “Word Challenge” by Playfish. This game challenges you to find as many 3-6 letter word combinations with 6 letters initially provided to you. It can be highly addictive for the vocabulary buff or anyone that just loves word games. This guide will help the casual player up to the competitive word genius. Knowing a few tips and tricks will help increase your score and beat your friends.
Each round of play is timed, but each time you score a 4-letter word or longer you are awarded additional seconds to your timer. Unscramble the hidden 6-letter word and you are able to enter the friend bonus round, even if you haven’t found all of the available words. When this occurs, you will see a pink crown icon light up above your letters. Click on this during your game to access the friend bonus round. Six letters will appear to you and you are under the timer to unscramble one of your friend’s names within the letters. It doesn’t always use all six letters and that makes this even more challenging. After you finish that round, you are directed back to the game you left without a time penalty. Continue to play until you either run out of time or find all of the words.
Tips, tricks & techniques:
- You can use your mouse to select the letters or type them on the keyboard. Use whichever achieves the fastest result. Remember, you are on the clock.
- If using the keyboard: backspace to remove the last letter and place it back in the tray, enter at the end of your word, use the space bar to scramble the letters to provide a different vantage point.
- Start typing the longest words you see first, this will add seconds to your time. Enter the 3-letter (most easily spotted) words last.
- Once you have entered a few words, you have the option of receiving a new group of letters. You will see the yellow “ABC” button light up. Click on this to receive a new group when you get stuck
- Before you decide to use the “ABC” button, take a few extra seconds to make sure you don’t see any more words. As you find words, the point value for each subsequent word increases. When you select a new group of letters, you start back at the minimum scoring level again.
- You are not penalized for incorrect words or mistakes.
- Word Challenge is available for play in languages other than English.
Once you have completed the round, you are awarded your “vocabulary type”. This is a character that represents your score. Strive to achieve the level of Poet, the highest level on Word Challenge. You can play alone or challenge your friends to see who has the better vocabulary. The ranking system maintains the ranks of your friends for all time high score, monthly, and weekly winners.
There is a total score ranking maintained and shown to you when you enter the game. Make it to 10,000 and you are eligible to unlock the Pro Player Club for free. You also have the option of purchasing this version for $9.99. The Pro Player Club has three different modes that you can choose from. The Practice Mode is the same as the traditional Word Challenge, only without the pressure of the timer. Take your time and enjoy unlimited play time. The second game is the Word Grid Mode. String together adjacent letters to make words. This mode has an exclusive high-score board for members. The third game is Turbo Mode. This is for the player that has mastered Word Challenge and needs a bigger challenge. Turbo Mode also has an exclusive high-score board. One of the greater advantages of Pro Player Club is the absence of advertising in between games.
Word Challenge is available on Facebook, MySpace and Netlog. Practice makes perfect, happy gaming.