If you are tired of the standard dinner and a movie on Valentine’s Day, the Virginia Beach area is replete with unique activities which will make your Valentine’s Day unforgettable. That’s not to say that you should ditch the dinner idea completely, but make it a follow-up to an adventure with your loved one.
Here are 6 great activities that you can do to celebrate Valentine’s Day in a unique, unforgettable way in the Virginia Beach area:
1. Go whalewatching. Sure it will be cold, although there are days in Virginia Beach when winter feels like spring, but bundle up and climb aboard a whalewatching boat at Rudee Inlet. Catching a glimpse of a magnificent whale brings life into perspective and overwhelms most people with emotion. Follow the cruise with a nice dinner in the Rudee Inlet area or along the boardwalk and you’ve had a date that won’t soon be forgotten.
2. Take a cruise. The Hampton Roads area offers a variety of cruises along its many rivers as well as the Chesapeake Bay. Check the winter schedules to see what is available. Tall sailing ships, tour boats that visit the military bases and historic areas, fishing charter boats, and dinner cruises – the offerings are plenty, although more limited in winter than summer.
3. Visit our natural parks. There are plenty of exciting opportunities in our local wildlife refuges and parks. The Back Bay Wildlife Refuge offers a unique ride on their giant Terragator vehicle along the remote beaches of Back Bay and False Cape State Park. If the weather cooperates, a hike in beautiful First Landing State Park is also a memorable experience.
4. Swim with the seals. The Virginia Aquarium schedules up-close visits with the seals, even allowing guests to swim with them. You couldn’t ask for a more unique experience to share with someone special.
5. Enjoy a very unique spa experience. You might not know that Edgar Cayce, a noted psychic, chose Virginia Beach to start the Center for Research and Enlightenment just one block from the ocean. The center offers spa treatments and other holistic treatments as well as a bookstore and other facilities in a beautiful setting.
6. Attend a 1940’s hangar dance in the Military Aviation Museum hangar at the Virginia Beach Airport. An orchestra, great food, and a room full of fun-loving couples in vintage attire make for a romantic night right out of the picture show.
Virginia Beach, with its relatively mild winters and abundance of unique natural areas, is the perfect spot for a unique outdoorsy Valentine’s Day experience. If the weather turns sour, there are other unique activities available that will make this Valentine’s Day one to remember. This year forego dinner and a movie for outdoor adventures, a flashback to the 40’s, or a swim with the animals. Make memories in Virginia Beach this Valentine’s Day.