Totally trivial Tuesday: Animals
This week on TTT – trivia about heaviest and lightest animals
Most people know that the largest animal of any type (measuring by weight) is the blue whale …. But
1. What’s the heaviest insect?
2. What’s the heaviest reptile?
3. What’s the heaviest rodent?
4. What’s the heaviest land mammal?
5. What’s the heaviest amphibian?
6. What’s the heaviest fish
7. What’s the heaviest bird
On the other end of the scale, the lightest animal is hard to determine, it depends on what exactly you mean by ‘animal’ but
8. What’s the lightest insect?
9. What’s the lightest reptile?
10. What’s the lightest rodent?
11. What’s the lightest mammal?
12. What’s the lightest amphibian?
13. What’s the lightest fish
14. What’s the heaviest bird?
Some stuff about animals
There are about 60,000 species of vertebrate animals, which sounds like a lot, but there are nearly 1,000,000 species of insect; about 50,000 new species of animal are discovered each year http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0934288.html. And, while the Earth is overpopulated with 7 billion or so humans, entomologists estimate that there are that many insects on the average square mile of Earth. http://42explore.com/insects.htm. That’s one heck of a lot of insects!
1. The heaviest insect is probably the Goliath Beetle, which can weigh up to 100 grams which can weigh up to 100 grams, or 3.5 ounces
2. The heaviest reptile is the marine leatherback turtle, at 0.8 tons (1600 pounds)
3. The heaviest rodent is the capybara at over 100 pounds
4. The heaviest land mammal is the African bush elephant, which can weigh 8 tons
5. The heaviest amphibian is the Chinese giant salamander, at 132 pounds
6. The heaviest fish is the whale shark, averaging about 20 tons
7. The heaviest bird is the ostrich, but the heaviest flying bird is the great bustard, at up to 32 pounds
8. The smallest insect is the fairy fly, at 0.2 mm, or .008 inches.
9. The smallest reptile is the British Virgin Islands gecko, about ¾ inch long
10. The smallest rodent is the pygmy jerboa, about 2 inches long
11. Smallest mammal is the bumble bee bat, just over an inch long
12. Smallest amphibian is the Cuban frog, about 3/8 inch long
13. Smallest fish is the dwarf goby, about 10mm long, less than half an inch
14. Smallest bird is the hummingbird, about 2.5 inches wingspan
Wiki Answers http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_world%27s_heaviest_insect
Animal facts http://www.g-kexoticfarms.com/funanimalfacts.html
National Geographic http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/fish/whale-shark.html
Smallest insects http://www.entomon.net/smallest-fastest-insects-alive.htm