Every year a fresh crop of love songs a fresh crop of love songs are released by artists, designed to cover a wide range of emotions all having to do with that encompassing, thrilling – sometimes aching, feeling that is love. Whether it be a break-up song, a hopeful song, or a song about the pure bliss of being in a relationship, love songs are the best when they evoke those feelings in the listener, and allow the listener to relate the words of the song to the events presently going on in their lives. Below is a compilation of the best love songs of this past year.
10. Battlefield – Like the famous Pat Benatar song that came before, Jordin Sparks made a huge hit this year by comparing love to a battlefield, and declaring that all parties involved should get their armor on and made for one of the catchiest songs of the year.
9. Knock You Down – Two hip-hop heavyweights and a fresh newcomer made one of the best love songs. With Kanye West, Ne-Yo and Keri Hilson each declared the harder part of falling in love – the part when it hurts. But they did so in a way that had the country singing along with them.
8. Mad – Ne-Yo’s ode to never going to bed angry at a lover made for one of the best love songs of this year, not that it should come as a surprise. As usual Ne-Yo, a certified hit maker turned a simple chorus and heartfelt lyrics into a lovely ballad about unconditional love.
7. Please Don’t Leave Me – Pink’s cry to her ex is one of her most heart wrenching, raw vocals, which elevates an already personal song to another level. The idea of a strong woman breaking down and finally admitting that she needs her partner, despite the pain it causes her, and the fact that this is how Pink’s relationship with her on-again, off-again love Carey Hart seems to play out in the press, is the backbone to this song.
6. When Love Takes Over – With the help of Kelly Rowland, French DJ, David Guetta, made one of the best love songs of the year, not to mention arguably the best dance song of the year. With the soaring vocals from the former member of Destiny’s Child to the beautiful piano playing during the softer moments, the song took over the radio and became an instant hit for good reason.
5. Down – Jay Sean entered himself into the American recording industry with this amazing single. With his smooth vocals, a great beat, catchy lyrics and a guest-rap from the always welcomed, Lil’ Wayne, Jay Sean made one of the best songs of the year by declaring he would be there for his girl through anything – a message that any woman would love to hear.
4. Love Lockdown – Taking an introspective look at a relationship gone wrong, and a person holding back their true feelings – Kanye West’s first single from his innovative album is the one of the most relatable songs, and has one of the best beats in a song this year. He easily created a masterpiece with his single.
3. You Belong With Me – Taylor Swift, arguably the most popular musical artist of the year, creates songs that young girls can relate to, and she did it again with this crossover hit. You Belong With Me is a fun, pop ode to a boy a young girl has a crush on, only that boy is dating someone else. It’s one of the most relatable situations a girl can find themselves in, and one of the most fun songs on the radio to date.
2. Halo – Beyonce has proven without a doubt that she is one of the most talented artists in the music industry today. She does so by cranking out hit after hit, and making it look easy. With Halo, a beautiful, simple ballad about a person finally letting the other person in, sung with her soaring vocals, Beyonce gave the audience a phenomenal song about true love.
1. I’m Yours – From it’s fun, quirky beat, to it’s simple lyrics, Jason Mraz’s song that almost never got made became an instant hit, and rightfully so. Everything about the song just works, and the lyrics about just being with someone and being happy are rare in the industry, but that is what Jason Mraz created, and his Grammy-nominated song has lived on far past the summer, and will continue to do so.