2009 is almost over and what a year it has been. One good way to remember the year that is almost over fondly is to think about some of the music that was big in those 12 months because chances are if they are really popular you have some kind of memory attached to them. That being said here are my picks for the Top Ten Pop Songs of 2009.
10) “Party in the U.S.A” (Miley Cyrus)-no matter what your personal feelings are towards young Miley or her counterpart Hannah Montana you have to admit that she did create one of the catchiest pop tunes of this year. Proof of this is that not only teenyboppers knew all the words to this song (admit it you have to know at least one verse). Plus it is almost the essence of pop music with its bubbly sounding beat and bubblegum lyrics.
9) “Kiss Me Thru the Phone” (Soulja Boy)-this is actually a really sweet song. It’s about a relationship where one of the partners is constantly away (almost like a singer on tour maybe?) and that they are sorry they can’t be there but they do miss them very much and to give them a kiss through the phone. That is one of the reasons that I really enjoyed this song because I’ve been through a long distance relationship and sometimes it’s these little sweet moments that get you from day to day.
8) “Boom Boom Pow” (Black Eyed Peas)-this group is one of those rare groups that can go away for a couple of years and then come back with a huge hit that brings them back to the forefront!! And this song is no exception. This song has everything from catchy lyrics to a danceable beat; what more could you want from a pop song?
7) “Battlefield” (Jordin Sparks)-I will admit I wasn’t a Jordin Sparks fan thinking she’d be like every single other American Idol winner save for Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood who would disappear after one year. However, Ms. Sparks surprised me by coming out with this powerful song about how hard relationships can be sometimes and this has got to be one of the most popular songs that someone plays when they’re mad at their significant other. Well done, Jordin, well done.
6) “Right ‘Round” (Flo Rida)-I really thought Flo Rida would be a one trick pony but he keeps making the hits. This song fits the bill with a sampling beat and lyric from the eighties heat “You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)” by Dead or Alive, this song helped Flo Rida be as big of a musical presence in 2009 as he was when he burst out on the scene in 2008.
5) “Use Somebody” (Kings of Leon)-talk about bursting onto the scene! This group just took the music scene by storm with this hit about the long and hard search it is to look for someone that you can spend the rest of your life with. This song helped this band to be known in the music world and it is certain that they will be around for years to come.
4) “You Belong to Me” (Taylor Swift)-sweet little Taylor has come a long way from “Teardrops on My Guitar” to the point of being a crossover phenomenon. This song is a sweet little ditty about seeing the perfect guy for you who is with the wrong girl and being patient and just waiting for him to realize that everything he is looking for in this girl is already there in you. Such a sweet song even if the actual lyrics seems more suited for high school (keep in mind Ms. Swift is still reasonably young).
3) “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)” (Beyonce)-undoubtedly one of the biggest songs of the year with many viral videos all over the web with all kinds of ladies doing the single lady dance with their friends. The Chipettes even sing it in the new Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. It could even be called one of the biggest songs of the decade from diva mastermind herself, Beyonce. Although I’m not sure this song was quite as popular with the fellas, ladies everywhere know every word to it and have probably to put a ring on it!
2) “My Life Would Suck Without You” (Kelly Clarkson)-the original American Idol winner showed why she is still the ultimate one in the eyes of many with this single that burst onto the scene earlier this year. This song is about a relationship that, while it may have huge ups and downs, you know that they are meant to be in your life. Such a huge pop song, even to the point of being sung by the cast of Glee! in the fall finale.
1) “Poker Face” (Lady Gaga)-the reason I put this song as the number one pop song is I would have put money down on Lady Gaga being a one hit wonder after “Just Dance” and the popularity of this song, which almost seemed to surpass the her first single, proved me wrong indeed. This song will probably be one of the ones people definitely remember when they think of 2009.
There you have it, my top pop picks of 2009. Happy New Year!!