Guys, Valentine’s Day is coming. Soon, you will hear and see ads everywhere giving you ideas for rings, bears, flowers, etc. They want to help you choose their product, and drain your wallet of the money that’s in there. I’m here to help you show your love, a love that doesn’t include a signature loan to pay off. Here are 10 tips to help you be a champ on Valentine’s Day.
1. Listen. It’s true, just listen to you sweetheart. Woman love to drops hints, and sometimes the hints are in an off-hand comment that may start with, “You know what be fun…” or “Wow, fun…” Fun sometimes is a highlight word for, “Hey man of my dreams, check this out. I like this”. Sure, you’re lady may use other highlight words, but you get the idea. Remember to listen to what she thinks would be cool. Super tip: Write it down, type it on a note on a Smartphone, but remember it.
2. Narrow down your choices. Talk to their Mom, sister or friend to make sure you are heading in the right direction. Never say exactly what you are doing, but give the person some of you thoughts, and normally one choice will rise to the surface. When you are asked, “What/When/How are you going to give it to her?” To that respond, “You’ll have to wait and see,” they helped you decide, but keep exactly how you will pull it off as a mystery. Women love mystery, so play that up.
3. Dedicate a song to her. Think of you guy’s favorite song, and call into a local radio station, and try to plan for it to be played when she is commuting home from work. Another idea is to call in to the Delilah ((http://www.delilah.com/) The classic Love Song dedication show that has ran for years. Note: You can even email, and some of the emails get posted on the website) radio show and have your story/dedication and song ready to record.
4. Make something for her. Ok, let me try that again. Make something nice for her. Women love something made by you. Write a poem or take a copy of a cherished photo, and frame it.
5. Candles. Women love candles. Plus you can use it set the mood for your Valentine’s celebration.
6. Change the date of the Valentine’s celebration. This may not work for some couple’s, but try to explain that you are trying to have more money to do more things, you need to move Valentine’s Day to (whatever weekend within a 2 week window of 2/14). If she doesn’t throw something at you, you have succeeded as I did. A quick story;
I looked into checking into The Grand Californian hotel at Disney’s Calfornia Adventure a few years back, and it was $500 a night, but the price dropped a few hundred dollars if we checked in 2 weeks before 2/14. Now, I had to add a spa afternoon to completely sell the deal (I probably didn’t have to do that, cuz my wife is awesome.), but it worked.
7. If the date change idea worked, buy flowers anytime but Valentine’s Day will be a reasonable undertaking. If you have to deliver flowers on Valentine’s Day, buy the least expensive roses as you can, then watch some tutorials on flower arranging, and put some of yourself into it. Once the arranegment is done, if you can, deliver the flowers yourself. If not, start selling your sports memorabilia on Ebay now.
8. I mentioned it earlier, but its a good idea – a spa afternoon. You can find lesser expensive spa locations that can be a relaxing afternoon for you both. If it is cost prohibitive, set up a “special” spa day at your place. You can read up on massages, buy some oils and recreate the experience at home. You should probably set a clock, so you don’t rush the massage.
9. Create an anagram of words of what your sweetheart means to you. This can be the highlight of the whole Valentine’s experience. Women love to hear how you feel about them, and this is the perfect example of it.
10. This may be off the wall, but I wanted to include it: Sponsor a child through an organization of your choice. Even during the most troubled economic times, America is still the richest nation in the world, so share a little bit with a child who doesn’t have what they need. Many people are leery of these types of organizations and questions where the money goes. If you don’t feel comfortable using an organization, find a child in your circle of friends/family/co-workers and give them a gift. Whenever we give love away, it always comes back to us much more than we gave.
I hope you have the best Valentine’s Day ever. Love is the greatest thing, but its like a flower and needs constant attention. So, I hope the Valentine’s Day feeling last throughout the year.