Contemporary designs are a popular choice for most people nowadays. They offer a clean, comfortable and uncluttered look that is ideal for today’s lifestyle and needs. To get a fresh and updated look here are 10 tips to give your bedroom the perfect contemporary makeover:
1. Choose neutral colors for the walls of your bedroom. This gives a calming clean background for your furniture and accessories. Good color choices for a contemporary look are tans, creams, beiges, grays and whites. Use the same paint on all the walls but if you really want to experiment with a bolder color, consider painting one wall with a bold, accent color. Avoid using too many different colors in one room as that tends to ruin the streamlined look of a contemporary room.
2. Bedroom furniture such as the nightstands, armoire, dresser and bed should all follow contemporary style guidelines and have straight lines or soft curves. Avoid anything with carvings, hand paint, inlay work, mirror finishes and look for furniture in dark polished woods or metal accents. Choose a platform bed or a low bed to get a really sleek room. Upholstered headboards or wooden headboards are also great choice for a simple and modern design that will be perfect for smaller spaces.
3. Bedding should be in solid colors and be sure to avoid any floral patterns etc. If you must go for a pattern choose something geometric like stripes to give an updated look. Ignore anything that has trimmings, fringe, tassels or lace.
4. Bedroom lighting is essential to pulling off the contemporary look. Track lighting and recessed lighting are often used in contemporary décor to give a very polished look and highlight specific pieces of furniture or accessories. Use lamps with simple shades and metallic hardware to play up the contemporary look of the bedroom.
5.Keep accessories to a bare minimum. If you must dress up the walls, limit yourself to a mirror or a few paintings. Artwork should blend well with the contemporary décor so steer clear of landscapes and opt for ones that are bold and abstract. Try not to go overboard with accents to maintain the clean and simple look associated with contemporary design.
6.Rugs make a great statement in the bedroom so selecting the right rug for a modern look is essential. There are numerous options nowadays from solid wool rugs to natural fiber rugs like sisal and jute that have decidedly modern feel. Good options can be found at www.westelm.com, www.ikea.com or www.cb2.com. These stores feature fantastic options for contemporary design and you are sure to find something that works for you. A rug is a great way to add texture and interest to your bedroom in a simple and cost effective way.
7. Avoid using too many accents in the room. The contemporary look calls for simplicity, which means no moldings or unnecessary details, embellishments or adornments. Choose a few large pieces such as vases for interest instead of displaying lots of small objects that would create a cluttered look.
8. Window treatments should also be simple. Stick to the basics when dressing up the room. Select curtains that will complement the bedding and walls to make a subtle and sophisticated statement. You can also opt for blinds that tend to give a very clean and modern look. There is a great range of options from linen to bamboo blinds for a more natural, earthy look.
9. Keep cushions and pillows to a minimum when dressing up your bed. Contemporary design is all about simplicity.
10. Any accessories you choose to put in your room, like picture frames, vases, candle stand should follow the same guidelines that are given for contemporary furniture and have simple, straight lines. Avoid anything that has any carving or intricate details on it. Choose objects that are made of glass, metal or wood as accents in your bedroom as these three elements are most used in contemporary décor.