Decorating can be a challenge especially considering small spaces like bathrooms. Contemporary style bathrooms are popular choices nowadays with a clean, modern, and practical approach to decorating. Here are some ideas and tips to give your bathroom a complete contemporary makeover:
1. Use neutral, calming colors like beiges, tans, grays, blacks, creams and similar tones for bathroom tiles. Think about using very small tiles or larger ones rather than the traditional square tile for a more unique and unexpected look that will complement your contemporary décor.
2. Keep bathroom clutter to a minimum. One of the biggest elements of contemporary designs is a clean and sleek look to any room. Adding fixed storage cabinets in the bathroom will give you extra storage and provide a place to put all you bathroom essentials hidden. Another way to enhance the clean look is to keep cabinets off the floor to give a floating effect.
3. The washbasin makes a significant statement in any bathroom so choose a washbasin in stone, granite or glass as these materials are often used in contemporary design. You could also use the more common white basin but invest in one that has straight lines or softer curves.
4. Choose bathroom fixtures in brushed stainless steel, glass, or dark woods. Contemporary bathroom design uses these three elements very often together as they tend to complement each other perfectly giving the place a harmonious look and feel. Fixtures should ideally have straight, simple lines with little or no decorating on them to blend well with the contemporary décor.
5. Cover any windows with blinds instead of curtains. Blinds tend to give windows a clean, unfussy look while curtains are used more in traditional design.
6. Choose bathroom accessories like the bath mat, shower curtain, and towels in solid colors or geometric patterns that are prevalent in contemporary design. Avoid buying anything that has too many different colors in it or pattern as these tend to add too much detail to a room and are not suitable for contemporary decor.
7. Lighting fixtures are an important part of any bathroom design. To achieve the perfect contemporary look go for recessed lighting. Recessed lighting can be used on dimmers and provides a very sleek look to any room. You can find a range of great, affordable options at www.homedepot.com.
8. Installing showers with glass doors is another way to highlight the contemporary feel of a bathroom. Showers are great for smaller bathrooms and using glass doors gives the illusion of a larger space. They are also easier to maintain than bath tubs.
9.A technique I personally like to use in bathrooms to achieve a modern and organic look is to accessorize with simple square vases and filling them with pebbles and river stones. The stones perfectly complement the neutral colors of a contemporary bathroom and give it an almost Zen feel.
10. Lastly, I suggest using bamboo accents in the bathroom to give a fresh look. Great options are available at crate and barrel especially their bamboo bath accessory line, which includes a tissue box, soap dish, soap pump and even a wastebasket.
A great site for finding more inspiration for your contemporary bathroom design is www.hgtv.com. You can browse a large selection of contemporary designs and be able to visualize some of the elements talked about in this article.