Summer is one of the most popular seasons to wed in, and as a result, many vendors charge double their normal rates because you are marrying during their “peak” season. After spending thousands on your venue, your floral arrangements, your dress and the reception catering, it is highly unlikely that you will have another few thousand dollars readily available to shell out for an open bar.
So what are brides and grooms on a budget to do? Forfeit all alcoholic beverages from the reception? Or break every rule of wedding etiquette in the book and hold a cash bar, forcing your guests to pay for what they drink?
While these seem like your only options, you can actually save a great deal of money by offering one or two signature cocktails for your guests to enjoy. By limiting the alcohol choices, you will save hundreds (and possibly thousands) of dollars on you alcohol bill.
There are a variety of fruity, festive summer inspired cocktails that are the perfect way to treat your guests while celebrating the warm weather outside and your new marriage. Here are several ideas for summertime wedding cocktails you can serve during your wedding reception.
This sweet pink drink is a sure way to please your quests taste buds.
4 cups of cubed seeded watermelon
1/2 cup light rum
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup orange liqueur
1. Freeze the watermelon cubes for at least 6 hours prior to making the daiquiris.
2. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
New Orleans Hurricane
This bright orange concoction is described by AllRecipes.com as “a drink that starts out calm, but gets stormy at the end.”
1/2 cup ice
2 oz. light rum
2 ox. passion fruit flavored syrup
1 cup Sprite or Sierra Mist
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. 151 proof rum
1. In a shaker, combine ice, light rum, passion fruit syrup, Sprite or Sierra Mist and lime juice.
2. Shake well and pour mixture into a Hurricane glass.
3. Float the 151 proof rum on top of the drink.
This electric yellow cocktail is the perfect combination of sweet and sour.
4 oz. fresh lemon juice
2 oz. vodka
1 tsp. white sugar
1 lemon, sliced
1. In a mixing glass, combine lemon juice, vodka and sugar. Stir until dissolved.
2. Pour into glasses filled with ice.
3. Garnish with a lemon slice.
Washington Apple Martini
This sweet red drink is sure to be a crowd pleaser, and is a personal favorite of mine.
1 oz. Sour Apple Puckers
1 oz. Crown Royal
2 oz. cranberry juice
Combine all ingredients in a glass and stir well.
This fruity red drink is perfect for casual summertime receptions.
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup brandy-based orange liqueur
3/4 cup gold tequila
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs white sugar
1. Place the raspberries, brandy-based orange liqueur, tequila, lemon juice, and sugar in a blender.
2. Blend until smooth. Serve in glasses over ice cubes.
References: All Recipes: Summer Cocktails http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Summer-Sips-Summer-Cocktails/Detail.aspx