Setting a fun and festive table this spring is a great way to add an Easter flair to your home! These quick and easy painted bamboo placemats only take a little bit of time to make and are incredibly inexpensive.
For this project, you will need (per placemat):
– One plain bamboo style placemat (available at home décor shops)
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in a paste shade of your choice (options include Satin Ballet Slipper, Satin Catalina Mist, Gum Drop, or Satin Meringue)
– Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pen in Gloss White
– Plastic lettering stencil
– Plastic Easter theme stencil (eggs, bunnies, grass, flowers, etc.)
– Masking tape
– Half inch wide pastel colored satin ribbon
– Hot glue gun and glue sticks
– Newspaper or a large drop cloth
To begin, cover your work area with a few sheets of old newspaper or a large drop cloth to protect it during the painting process. Lay the bamboo placemat flat on the work area. Spray the front half with an even coat of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White. Wait an hour before flipping over the placemat, priming the back, and drying for three to four hours.
Paint the front of the placemat with Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in a pastel shad of your choice. Examples include Satin Ballet Slipper (pink), Satin Catalina Mist (blue), Gum Drop (lavender), or Satin Meringue (yellow). Wait an hour before adding a second coat of the paint and drying for three to four hours.
Attach any plastic lettering stencils and/or Easter theme stencils to the bamboo placemat with masking tape. Trace the design lightly in pencil. Remove the tape and stencil carefully. Fill in the design with a Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pen in Gloss White. Allow the placemat to dry overnight before continuing.
Cut enough ribbon to run vertically down the left and right edges of the placemat. Secure the ribbon in place with an even bead of hot glue. Let the glue cool completely before enjoying your new creation.
TIP: Krylon Short Cuts Hobby and Craft Paint Pens come in a wide variety of colors other than white. Consider adding a design in another pastel shade for a springtime look that is absolutely adorable! Also, if you are looking for design ideas consider bunnies, chicks, Easter eggs, or even a religious theme depending on your holiday décor style. Add additional embellishments, designs, lettering, monograms, etc. as desired.