Everyone is always asking me about all the things that my Palm Pre Phone can do, so here is a list of some of the many useful tools, apps, features and overall cool things you can do from your Palm Pre Smartphone.
• It can double as a digital alarm clock for home or travel with the app “Timepiece”.
• Listen to hundreds of podcasts on the app “Stitcher”.(News, Comedy, Kids, Educational etc) Great for car rides and traffic jams.
• Update your Status and check out your facebook page with the many free facebook apps
• Twitter your heart out with the many Twitter apps.
• Instantly and easily download apps from a store that is growing by leaps and bounds
• Store your own and search for new recipes on apps such as “What’s for Dinner?” (Moms will love!)
• Search Craigslist, read local ads and see pictures, from the “mCraig” app.
• Turn your Pre into an E-reader by using Kobo an e-bookstore and reader.
You can also view PDF’s you download, a file or a whole book.
• Buy Tickets on Fandango and check out what is playing at a theater near you, (wherever you are, it checks your GPS location) read reviews and watch trailers! If you buy from the app, it adds the event to your calendar automatically.
• Listen to Pandora, which is like a radio that you can listen to free music and discover new music you may not have heard before and personalize it to your tastes.
• Access Wikipedia, Infopedia or a dictionary with the many apps that you can add to be able to truly have knowledge at your fingertips.
• Read all about it in the many news apps, such as “Express News” or other apps that can give you headline news, local news or world news with just one touch.
• Check the weather with the various weather apps, such as the “Weather Channel’s informative and up to date app. See if there are any severe weather alerts near you and you can even view the Doppler, much quicker than I can on my laptop.
• Control your DVR. With apps like Directv, you just click on the icon and you have instant access to their website, which can give you the option to record something from your DVR’s at home even while being miles away! Great if you forgot to record something.
• Search for Real Estate, look for a new home or a rental in your local area or across the country with apps like “Real Estate” that search many sites to bring you what is happening in the market today.
• Get Coupons! “Valpak” has an app that can give you coupons for local vendors and business in your area. If you are in an area in which they serve.
• Watch Movies & TV- You can watch free television shows like Disney Channel shows, Mickey’s Clubhouse or The Suite Life, The weather channel, MSNBC Highlights, Olympic highlights are even featured now, NFL Network, USA Network, Access Hollywood, Bravo, Syfy, Fox, Speed Channel, Nascar, ABC Mobile, ABC News, Free Music Channel with music videos, CBS Mobile, NBC Mobile, (all featuring the most up to date episodes available online) Entertainment Tonight, all those feature free shows and highlights, then you can subscribe to other channels with sports, cartoons, live television, movies, for $4.99-$9.99 a month for unlimited access to whatever channels they offer or you can buy movies individually for about the same price as you would buy on demand at home and believe me, they look really good you won’t be disappointed. You can also hook up your headphones to your phone so you can get the best sound and not worry about outside distractions. You can watch live television, or sift through a huge library of movies by Sprint or through the numerous channels that offer movies too! You can also store videos on your phone to watch and share with others.
• Watch You-Tube. There is a You-Tube app pre-installed onto the Pre so you can be watching funny videos with one tap of the screen.
• Play Games! There are numerous games (and ways to waste time) in the app store, what more can you ask for while waiting at the DMV or in the doctor’s office.
There are games for kids from age 1 all the way up to the hard core gaming adults.
There are lots of free games, many that are also very cheap just 99 cents or 1.99, and then there are some that are $4.99, very good prices, reasonable. The app store has a ratings system so you can see how others liked the apps, and you can write in reviews saying what you liked or didn’t. This is useful for the consumer, but also for the game developers who often respond to consumers complaints and make changes in the game to better the app for everyone.
There are simple games, puzzles, sports games, action games, games you have heard of like memory, monopoly, tetris, connect four, poker, spades, some are online and you can play against others, like the super-fun Word Ace, that players can gather and play using their Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, Facebook, iphone and who knows where else. You can chat on some games to the other players, find your friends and play with them; there are educational flashcards for children and babies.
There are silly games and strategic games, some to try that are either free or under $1.99 that I recommend are: Word Ace, Card Ace, Zilch, Spades, Bubbles, Paratrooper Mini, Air Hockey, Tap Flick Slide it, 15 Puzzle, Color Drops, Blocked Car, Monster Cups (can be found inside an app called ALLGAMESFREE).
Good ones for kids for free or under $1.99 are: Small Wonders, Match em’ Xmas, Balloon Pop, Car Sounds for Kids, Animal Sound Box, Word Magic, Math Magic, Phake Phoney, The Red Apple, Polar Bowling and Seismograph.