1. The first and best way to make your wedding reception special is to base your wedding reception around the bride and grooms personality. Having a theme that reflects the couple’s interests will work best. Don’t forget to be creative, your wedding reception should be as fun and unique as the couple.
2. Pick an interesting location. Your location can be a big part of your theme. If the couple loves bowling throw the wedding reception at a bowling alley, complete with crazy bowl. Brewery’s or wineries are also excellent locations for wedding receptions.
3. Music. Everyone expects music at a wedding reception. Have your music selection match your personality. If you love karaoke, invite your favorite karaoke DJ to do the music at your reception. Your guests will be providing the music and it can be a great way for the two newly joined families to get to know each other better.
Live performances by local bands, your favorite cover band, or family or friends who are skilled musicians will also make your wedding reception unique. If you decide on just hiring a DJ make sure you pick one with style that can really entertain when they get on the mike. A boring DJ will ensure a boring wedding reception
4. Open Bar. No explanation necessary. If you can afford it, it is the way to go. It might be a good idea to suggest to your guests to have a designated driver.
5. Entertain you’re your guests: If you really want your wedding reception to be memorable choreograph a dance for the entire wedding party to perform at the reception.
6. Fun dances- Be sure to include dances like the duck dance, YMCA, and other fun songs everyone knows. Dollar dances,- where the guests pay a dollar to dance with the bride or groom, gives everyone the chance to dance and talk to the bride and groom ensuring that each of your guests gets a chance to catch a moment with you on this very special, albeit very busy day. It is also an easy way to raise a little cash to pay for this shindig.
7. The centerpiece. Don’t be lazy when it comes to the centerpiece. If you pull it off right your guest will still be talking about it the next day. The most memorable centerpiece I’ve ever seen is live goldfish on every table.
8. Party favors- send your guests home from your wedding reception with lovely gifts to thank them for sharing in your special day. Good ideas include pens, chocolates or pocket calendars with your name and wedding gate on them.
9. The cake- everyone looks forward to the cake cutting at a wedding reception. Go farther than just feeding each other cake. Shove it in each other’s faces in a cake fight, or have a contest where the best man tries to catch a piece of cake in his mouth that the groom tosses.
10. Family pictures- since you’re going to have a photographer anyway let your family get family pictures taken. Since they will all be there and dressed up, the many branches of your family can take advantage of this time by getting their family portraits done. Every time they look at their family portrait on the wall they will remember your wedding reception.
Having a memorable wedding reception can take hard work and a lot of preparation but it is all worth it. This is a day you and your guests will remember forever. Kick of your marriage with a party they will never forget!