Many people say kitchens are the heart of a home. People gather there, eat there, and socialize there. Function and accessibility of a kitchen are important factors to most homeowners, but you also want the room to be a welcoming place. If you are looking to make your kitchen a little more stylish and inviting here are some tips to help you contemporize your kitchen!
1. Stainless steel- Stainless steel is a main component of most contemporary kitchen designs. Many people choose stainless steel appliances for their sleek appearance and ease to clean, but it is also a great choice for counter tops, backsplashes, and tables. The key is to not overdo it. Too much stainless steel can make your kitchen look cold and industrial.
2. Glass – Glass is another material that works great to give a kitchen contemporary style. Frosted glass is used in cabinetry, thick glass is used for island/ bar tops, and glass tiles look great as a backsplash. Glass used throughout a kitchen achieves a modern look with a sense of continuity.
3. Lighting – Contemporary kitchens use lots of canned lighting throughout with one or two geometric accent pieces. Track lighting may be used over an island or a bar and pendulum lights (lights that actually hang from the ceiling) with clean defined lines may be used as accent lighting.
4. Minimalistic – Most contemporary kitchen designs are very minimalistic. The design is in the appliances, counters, bar stools, etc. There aren’t many “extras.” There also in no room for clutter. Too many accent pieces or intricate objects take away from the clean lines and continuous flow of a kitchen decorated in a contemporary style.
5. Light Natural Wood – A lot of contemporary kitchens bring a bit of warmth into the room through the use of light wood. Light natural wood tones may be used for flooring, window trim, and even cabinets. A contemporary kitchen can run the risk of feeling cold and impersonal. This material helps keep that from happening without distracting from the style.
6. Bright Colors in Small Doses – Bold, bright colors can add character to a contemporary design. However, the color should not be a large part of the design or it will distract from the feel of the room. Try adding pops of color with flower vases, light fixtures, or other small accents.
7. Smooth Surfaces – Smooth surfaces are common in contemporary kitchen design. This goes for smooth ceilings, floors, and countertops. Texture isn’t largely used as a decorating tool. The unobstructed flat surfaces help define the look.
8. Continuity – Continuity is a huge decorating factor in contemporary kitchen designs. The clean, geometric look should flow throughout the entire room effortlessly. There shouldn’t be many distracting or interrupting elements. Everything should work together to create the desired effect.
9. Open Shelving – Open shelving can be used in a contemporary kitchen. It is important to keep the objects on these shelves uncluttered and minimalistic in order to flow with the rest of the kitchen design. Not every shelf should be open, just one or two throughout the kitchen.
10. Use Cabinet and Door Pulls as Design – Cabinet and door pulls can really enhance the feel of a kitchen. It is a good place to use color and design without detracting from the minimalistic style of the contemporary kitchen. Such small elements will add personality and flair to the room.
Utilize these concepts to design your own contemporary kitchen.