Whether you use paper or cloth napkins, there are ways to display them that are decorative and fun to make.
Let’s begin with the paper napkins. These are generally held all together in a napkin holder sitting at the center of the table.
Paper Napkin Holder
This wooden creation will be your centerpiece and will last for years to come.
– One 1/16 sheet of balsa wood
– One ½” thick 4″ long block of wood
– Exacto knife
– Sand paper
– Pencil and pattern
– Brushes and Paints
1. You will need to choose a pattern for your napkin holder. Once you have decided what your napkin holder will look like, you will need to trace the pattern, twice, on the balsa wood.
2. With the pattern drawn, you are now ready to cut the balsa. Follow instructions found on How to Cut Balsa Wood to get the best results.
3. Use the chisel to create two grooves along the lengths of the block of wood. Place the sides in the grooves to make sure they fit. Should they not fit, keep working on the grooves until the sides smoothly slide in.
4. After the cutting and sanding is complete, seal the wood with a good sealant and let dry.
5. Once the sealant is dry, you can start painting the balsa. Follow the painting instructions of your pattern.
If you have chosen a geometric shape, you can paint flowers, geometric designs, or other abstract figure on the outer part of the two sides. If you pattern is in a shape of an animal, a flower, or other specific design, you want paint accordingly.
6. Let the paint dry and then spray your work with a sealant to give it a shiny look and protect your work.
If you have chosen to paint the sides in one single color, remember to also paint the base in that same color.
7. The last step necessary to complete your napkin holder requires that you insert the sides into the grooves. Slide them in place and you are done.
If you like change, or you like to decorate for each holiday, you may want to consider preparing several different patterns. You can then interchange them by sliding in the grooves a new pair of sides, any time you want to.
Cloth Napkin Holder
If your family likes to use cloth napkin, a way to make sure each family member uses the assigned napkin is to create a personalized holder.
– Wooden rings (one per family member)
– Brushes and paints
1. Pre-treat the wooden rings with a sealant. Once they are dry, paint different designs on them.
2. If you choose to use a flower motif you can use the same flower on all rings, but paint them in different colors. You can also paint different flowers on each ring. Then, let each family member choose the ring of their choice.
If you like to use exactly the same design and color for all rings, then consider writing the name of the family members or use their initials to distinguish them from one another.
If you are very creative, you may choose to design a personalized ring based on each family member’s interest. For example, you may like to draw golf balls for the golfer in the family, a toy for the child, or musical notes for the musician.
3. After you are done creating designs on the rings, let the paint dry and then use the sealant to give the ring a shine and protect your artwork.