Bad Beats, also known as “suckouts”, are impossible to avoid when it comes to the poker world. It also seems to be that internet poker is a breeding ground for these kinds of beats. But no, it’s not because online poker is rigged, it’s simply due to the fact that you are going through hundreds of hands per hour and there is just more chances for it to happen. This unavoidable event will undoubtedly one day happen to you and it isn’t going away any time soon. That said, learning how to deal with a bad beat (shaking it off) is just as important as knowing how to play the game itself.
In the Long Run
I know it’s hard to think about the long run when you are continuously being drawn out on by horrible poker players, but this is what you need to do. Trust me when I say that those bad beats are sometimes good for you. If everyone played perfect poker and there was no one to play like a “fish” then who would make money in the long run? No one would, and that’s why skill is such an important factor in today’s game of poker. Poker is all about making calculated risks and moves so that you will win in the long run. This means that you will have peaks and valleys when it comes to the variance of the game, but that’s what poker is all about.
What Is A Bad Beat?
For those wondering, a bad beats is classified by getting your money in with the best hand and the best odds and still coming out the loser by being “drawn out” on. That said, even if you are putting your money in with great situations like an 80% chance of winning, you re going to lose 20% of the time. The important part is that you are winning most of the time. If you’ve ever heard the saying, “you can’t win em’ all”, that holds extremely true in poker.
How To Stop Bad Beats
All the complaining aside, many people bring bad beats upon themselves. This is something that needs to be dealt with immediately because it can lead to a fatal loss in your bankroll. One common mistake that often leads to your bad beats is by giving a free card. An example of this is that you have As Ac and the flop comes 9h 7h Ad. Many players will check here in order to “slow play” a big hand and incise the opponent to bet. However, then the player checks behind you and now you just gave your enemy a chance drawing to a flush and/or straight with that kind of board. Learning the texture of the board is very important in poker. A second way that players bring bad beats upon themselves is by