Welcome to Hattiesburg, Mississippi; also known as “Hub City” or “The Pinebelt” or USM’S Hometown (Home of the Golden Eagles). There is always something to do here and explore. There are several things going on this month around town with Superbowl, Madi Gras, and Valentine’s Day. There are a few pub’s around town that have special events coming up this month to cater to their patrons. I’ve made a list of a few that you might be interested in trying or stopping by to check out the local festivities.
1) Shucker’s Oyster Bar: Located at 6409 US Hwy. 98 West, Phone # 1-601-271-7896. The owner of this establishment was most helpful in giving me information and was most hospitable. Thanks, Gene. This establishment has patrons ranging from 21 to 60. I was told most of them range from 30-60. Their hours are from 4 P.M. to 2 A. M. Closed on Sundays (*except for this Superbowl Sunday). This Sunday they will be open from around 2 P.m. until after the game. Come early to enjoy free Chili and King Cakes. On Thursday, Friday, and Saturday’s they have live band entertainment. It’s more of a Cheer’s Rock and Roll Bar which also offers a large screen T.V. and who serve draft beer.
2) Nick’s Ice House: Located at 2106 Hardy St., Phone # 1-601-544-5987 or 1-601-297-8561. The owner of this establishment was most generous in allowing me to speak with his bartender, Joe Davis, who informed me that there will be a Private Superbowl Party there. Patrons are asked merely to tip their bartender and donate $1 or $2 dollars, as well as, buy your own ice. It’s a BYOB celebration. They will have the BBQ Grill fired up and ready to serve. They offer three T.V.’s inside and a T.V. outside as well as a projector, so all may enjoy the game. No cover charge is ever required. They offer live entertainment on Saturdays. This Saturday night enjoy Chad Knight whose show starts at 10:00 P.M. Saturday, the 13th of Feb., Shotzy and The Fifths join them with blue grass music. Feb. 19th, Jay Stevens comes. John Dowells performs and on Feb. 29th, Tyler Durden plays. Jay Stevens will also be lined up to come entertain all his fans as well. Their operation hours are from 5:00 P.M. to 2:00 A.M.
3) Alumni House Bar: Located at 204 N. 40th Ave., Phone # 1-601-602-4606. Hours are : Mon. and Wed. 11 A.M. to midnight, Tues. 11 A.M. to 1 A.M., Thurs. 11 A.M. to 2 A.M., Fri. and Sat. nights they offer live bands (*cover charges vary). Make sure to call ahead to check on cover charge and who will be playing, and what time they begin.
4) Sidelines Sports Cafe”: Located at 2763 Oak Grove Rd., Phone # 1-601-599-4263. Cover charges vary and they offer live entertainment. This Sunday their Superbowl Party shoots off from 2 P.M to Midnight. with a $20.00 cover charge and an open buffet. Happy Hour is celebrated from 4 P.M. to 7 P.M. with 2 for 1 drinks and liquor shots, $2.75 domestic bottles, 12 draft beers are offered for $1.75. Open Mon. – Saturday from 11 A.M. to 2 A.M. Wed. nights are Karoke’ nights, with Fri. and Sat. live band nights. Call ahead for show listings and cover charge fees.
5) Roper’s: 6428 Hwy. 49, Phone # 1-601-543-0987. *Roper’s will be closed on Superbowl Sunday, as they are closed every Sunday. Business hours for Roper’s is from 5 P.M. to 2 A.M. They offer dance lessons on Mon. and Tues. nights Tuesday and Thurs. nights are ladies nights, Ladies drink free with a $5 cover charge for patrons 21 and over, under 21 $10 cover charge. Food is offered to be ordered.
6) The Idle Hour: Located at 1603 Broadway Dr., Phone # 1-601-268-1629. Their hours are Mon.-Fri. 12 P.M. to 12 A.M., Sat. 11 A.M. to 2 A.M. They will be open on Superbowl Sunday and they offer free boiled peanuts to their patrons with a large flatscreen T.V. No cover charge is required here.
7) The Bottling Company: Located at 126 Market Ct., Phone # 1-601-268-1629. Hours are Mon.-Fri. 11 A.M. to 3 P.M. and then opening in the evening from 6 to 2 A.M. Reservations are needed for Valentine’s Day. Call ahead to find out what the cover charge will be and who will be playing as they change daily or visit them online to buy tickets. Soutuhern Homestyle Cooking is offered here.
8) Purple Parrot Cafe: Located at 3810 Hardy St., Phone # 1-601-264-0656. Opened Sunday for Superbowl. Hours are Mon.-Thurs. 11 A.M. to 11 P.M., Sat. 11 A.M. to 11 P.M., and Sunday 11 A.M. until Midnight. Happy Hour daily from 2 P.M. to 7 P.M. offering 2 for 1 drinks and reduced price on draft. They offer a Maffia Table which sets 13 people, 2 big screen T.V.’s, 6 small T.V.’s, 8 to 10 draft beers (*depending upon stock), and a T.V. outside on the courtyard for smoker’s.
9) The Endzone: Located at 2505 West 4th St., Phone # 1-601-583-8154. Operational Business Hours are from 11 A.M. to 1:30 A.M.
10) Bennie’s Boom Boom Room: Located at Front St., Phone# 1-601-544-7757. Live Bands perform. Call ahead for entertainment schedule and cover charge fees. Bennie’s Boom Boom Room is the happening place to be!
11) Mug Shots Bar and Grill: Located at 219 S. 40th Ave., Phone # 1-601-261-3261.
12) St. Elmo’s Tavern: Located at 1825 Hardy St., Phone # 1-601-543-0659.
13) The Thirsty Hippo: Located at 211-A Main Ave., Phone # 1-601-583-9188.
Enjoy and we look forward to you all visiting us frequently! Have great times ahead.