With Jason, Michael Myers and Freddy Krueger making returns to the big screen it’s time for the other guys to make a grisly comeback.
1. Chucky – Our favorite little killer doll hasn’t been seen since 2004’s Seed of Chucky. Fans were split on the overly campy sequel and there have been talks of a complete reboot of the franchise. But it hasn’t been anything beyond that. Chucky creator Don Mancini is to be charge of the reboot to make Chucky scary again. Whatever the project ends up being I want to see Chucky back on the big screen. Brad Douriff must return though. No one can ever replace that voice. Don Mancini was displeased with some changes made to his screenplay for the original film so hopefully the reboot ends up being something closer to his original screenplay. Have some winks to the original while throwing in a few surprises for the fans. We need the psychopathic good guy doll more than ever!
2. Pinhead – The demonic soul harvester hasn’t been on the big screen since 1996’s Hellraiser: Bloodline. After the box office failure of the film the Hellraiser series went straight to video for 4 sequels before Dimension films started talking about a big screen remake. For years there has been several director’s attached to the project such as Martyrs director Pascal Laugier. Martyrs has a Hellraiser quality to it so Pascal Laugier would’ve been perfect but Dimension can’t seem to keep any director aboard the project. They need to get their stuff together and deliver Pinhead and his cenobites back to the big screen. I’m all for someone else playing Pinhead. I love Doug Bradley in the role but I would love to see a different actor bring something new to the role. Whatever the case hopefully the Hellraiser remake doesn’t get left in development hell.
3. The Tall Man – Phantasm IV left fan’s hanging with its ending and ever since a fifth and final film has been promised. But nothing. A Phantasm 5 was going to happen years back but it’s was determined to be too big and not affordable. Since then Phantasm creator Don Coscarelli has talked about doing one more Phantasm but like his development on the Bubba Ho-Tep prequel it’s all talk and no action. Angus Scrimm isn’t getting any younger and I doubt any “Phans” would be comfortable with another actor playing the morbid mortician. I doubt we’ll ever get any closure on this franchise and I smell a remake coming. But we can all hope and pray that Phantasm 5 is coming sooner then later.
4. The Creeper – The presumed demon was last seen in 2003’s Jeepers Creepers 2. For years it was rumored a third film, possibly going direct to DVD, was going to happen. Jeepers Creepers creator Victor Salva confirmed a third film was in the works with a title (Jeepers Creepers 3: Cathedral) a plot line and a potential cast (by returning actors Jonathan Breck, Gina Phillips and Ray Wise) But that was over a year ago! Could it be because of MGM selling their library or that Victor Salva can’t get the budget he needs? Whatever the case it’s becoming too long for The Creeper return. If Jeepers Creepers 3 doesn’t hit the big screen in the next 2 years I’ll doubt we’ll ever see it.
5. The Leprechaun – The pint size terror hasn’t always been a big hit but us loyal fans would love to see him again. The last two sequels left a bad taste in most fans’ mouths so it would be nice to bring the Leprechaun back to his original roots as an evil creature that lusts for gold. Saw II-IV director Darren Lynn Bousman teased about putting the Leprechaun in the Wild West. But that was just an idea and nothing official. Well it was a damn good idea and a good direction for the series to go. Just keep him out of the hood, please! Warwick Davis is a must to return as the Leprechaun. There are several directions to take the series in with the Wild West being a good one. So Lionsgate what’s taking so long?