I’ve been playing Mafia Wars for awhile now, but when I first started I quickly realized how addicting it could be. On top of that, I also realized how frustrating it could be when, with such an addicting game, I’d run out of energy. I was also leveling very slowly. At the same time, I understood that many of my friends on Facebook do not play Mafia Wars and I didn’t really want to bother them with a bunch of annoying Mafia Wars notifications in their news feeds.
So I started a new Facebook account for two reasons – the first was to have my own account just for gaming so I wouldn’t annoy my friends who don’t share the same gaming excitement that I do. And secondly, I wanted to deploy a new strategy towards faster leveling and making the most out of my energy usage when it comes to Mafia Wars. Little did I know that I would end up leveling at lightning speeds – I reached level 300 in just 5 days of playing with over 100 Godfather points to spend.
Now, while I am sure that some few people have leveled to a higher point even faster (luck plays a little part in this), the level that I have reached is totally feasible for anyone to accomplish, as long as you stick to the strategy that I will be detailing out in this guide.
– Choosing a class
After creating a new Facebook account and getting the Mafia Wars application, the first thing to do is choose what class you will be. I’ve seen all over people saying you should choose Maniac, as they automatically get faster energy regeneration. Do not choose Maniac. This may sound silly at first when it comes to thinking of leveling faster, but if that’s what you want to do then be sure to choose Fearless.
Yes, Fearless types only get their health back quicker, right? What does that have to do with leveling? Well, what many people don’t realize, is that Fearless is the ONLY class that can be a Wheelman in others’ Top Mafia. Being a Wheelman is essential to this strategy, as there is a good chance that whenever you do a job, it will cost you no energy at all. That is where luck plays a small part, as it doesn’t happen every time. But it will happen often, and the times that it does adds greatly towards lightning-speed leveling.
So again, be sure to choose Fearless!
– Adding people to your Mafia
Now that you’ve chosen your class, it’s time to add friends to your new Facebook account so you can build a strong Mafia. The first thing I did was add my regular Facebook account as a friend on my new one, and put myself in my own Mafia. Then I looked on my normal accounts friends list, found everyone that played Mafia Wars and basically “ported them over” (added them as a friend) to my new account. Once approved, I immediately added them into my Mafia. I don’t remember clearly, but I think that I wasn’t allowed to access the My Mafia section right away. If this is so, go ahead and do a couple jobs until you can – only until you can. Don’t do any more than you need to for this. Then send all your “new” Facebook friends Mafia Wars invites.
– Setting up your Mafia
Once you have added others to your Mafia, it’s time to set up your Top Mafia. Make sure you are choosing some high-level players for this, as this is something else important when it comes to leveling quickly. Choosing a Wheelman and Mastermind that will each give you 11% less energy usage and 11% more experience gained per job respectively will greatly help out. These two are the most important when setting up your Top Mafia, so be sure to pick players that can provide you this. I would also suggest you choose players for the rest of the Top Mafia that will also give high percentage rates, though they are not as important as a high Wheelman and Mastermind.
– Becoming a Wheelman
And here is the really important part of this strategy, getting someone else to put you into their Top Mafia as Wheelman. This may be a bit difficult, as there are probably not many people who will do this since you are a new Mafia Wars character just starting out. You won’t be able to give them hardly anything percentage-wise as someone in their Top Mafia. So you will have to hope for finding someone kind enough to be willing to help out a small-level player, though in a few days you will be high enough to be 11% for them.
But if you have no luck in this, you can do what I did – go back to your original Mafia Wars account on your original Facebook account and add your new character as a Wheelman in the Top Mafia there. This shall guarantee your new character of randomly getting the “no experience used” bonus when you are doing jobs.
– Time to play!
Now for the fun part! Start doing jobs like crazy. Whenever you level up or complete a job and get that extra skill point, put them all into more energy. Nothing, and I mean nothing else. Everything goes into energy only for this strategy to work. Don’t worry about fighting or defending yourself against other players for now – this is only temporary until you get to a really high level, which with this strategy WILL happen quickly.
The main thing to remember, is that you need to level off your energy bar every time. This means no waiting for/relying on energy packs, no putting Godfather points towards energy refills, etc. Try to put enough experience into your energy bar to where you can level up off of it alone no problem. This means monitoring your energy usage.
– Monitoring and making the most out of your energy usage
This is probably the most important thing of all, in the long run. Watch the energy you are spending, and spend it wisely. Don’t carelessly click on jobs – look at how much energy they give compared to how much energy is spent! Of course you will want to complete all the jobs available eventually, but you don’t need to do this right away especially if it’s going to halt your leveling. Here are some tricks to try:
– While working towards a certain job completion, if you notice that you don’t have much energy left and the job you are working on isn’t providing enough to be able to level off of the energy bar with, temporarily go find another job with a better energy ratio, even if you have already completed it. What if you need a certain amount to push you over the level-up line but the job you are working on won’t cut it? Go find a job with better experience-giving that will push you over that line.
– If you are pushed up to the point right before leveling, don’t waste it on the job you are working on!! Unless, of course, you happen to be working on the job that gives the most experience available to you at the moment. But chances are you are not, so go find the one that will! For example, if I was working on completing a job that gave me 35 experience, once I was about ready to level I would leave that job for a moment and go find the one that would give me the most for the amount of energy I could use. This becomes more important later on in the New York tier, when you are receiving around 40 experience per job, but may be able to skip ahead a few tiers to temporarily do a job that will give you 140+. This will not only level you up, but the experience gained from that will flood over,meaning even less energy used before the next level! This is probably the most important strategy that should be applied throughout the entire game, no matter what level you are. Eventually I was leveling over and over and over again – no energy packs required – all day long.
– Fight! You may be wondering how this is possible, since you are not only starting out at a small level but have pretty much no Attack or Defense skill, and only a few stamina points, but it is possible. You just have to find a low-level character to fight that has a very small mafia. They may still beat you if they are making the mistake of putting all their skill points into attack and defense, so you may have to search around until you find one you can beat. If you are having trouble with this, it may even be suggested to start a whole new Facebook account solely to create a character that’s leveled up just enough to be able to fight, but with nothing for defense or attack skill. Attack this character and it could give you just the extra amount of energy you need in the “slow” levels (mentioned in the next section) to be able to level up.
– Expect to slow down a little between levels 10 and 30
Of course it varies, but the first day was the slowest for me. Don’t worry if you can’t level off the energy bar over and over again right away. You will be able to the first several levels, but by the time you get to levels 8, 9 and 10 you may notice it starting to slow down. After that you may not be able to level off the energy bar at all and may need to rely on energy packs after all, but remember this is only temporary. By the time I reached level 22, which happened a day after I started this new character, I noticed things were getting faster again and by level 30 I was repeatedly leveling over and over again as if I was a new character – but not. I never slowed down again! That is, until I was level 400 and decided to start throwing my skill points all towards Attack and Defense so I could become a good fighter. However, when you choose to do this is at your own discretion.
– What to do with Godfather points
You get Godfather points automatically every few levels or so, as well as having a good potential to winning them in the weekly lottery and such. During the slow levels, I would spend these on energy refills. However, this is not suggested. Personally, I feel I made a mistake with this. I am not telling you not to do it, especially if you are super impatient like me, but I really wish I would have thrown them into getting more skill points. Spending 14 GP can get you 4 skill points, which doesn’t seem like a lot. However, you will gain hundreds of GP from this leveling expedition, and using them all on skill points truly will add up. Throwing all of those into even more energy should make things even easier for you to level up with, and you’ll possibly be able to level even faster than I did!
And that is basically the strategy I used for leveling up over and over again in Facebook’s Mafia Wars. There are probably some other tips and tricks you can use, but this is the main and the gist of it for a completely guaranteed fast-leveling opportunity.