Mashed potatoes and homemade dressing are what make traditional Christmas dinners. But, what if you want something different? What if you want to wow your guests this holiday season? Then it’s time to try something new and elegant. This year, don’t just please your family’s taste buds, but please all of their senses with these delicious, easy, and elegant Christmas side dishes.
Savory Berry Wild Rice Salad
Serves 8 – 10
This recipe is a wonderful way to make a Christmas side dish that tastes as festive as it looks. Best of all, it tastes great the next day straight from the refrigerator.
2 boxes of wild rice mix
1 cup of dried cranberries or cherries
1 cup of slivered almonds
1 cup of blue cheese or goat cheese, crumbled
2 small bunches of green onions, chopped
1. Prepare the wild rice according to the package directions using chicken stock in place of water.
2. Add the cranberries after the chicken stock comes to a boil and cover and cook according to the package directions.
3. In the meantime, toast the slivered almonds in a small skillet over medium heat.
4. Allow the wild rice to cool slightly before stirring in the cheese and green onions.
5. Top with toasted almonds just before serving.
Any type of dried fruit or nuts can be used. This combination simply gives the side dish a festive Christmas appearance.
This side dish is perfect with poultry, but could also be served with roast lamb or prime rib.
Duck Roasted Baby Potatoes
Serves 8 – 10
Ask any chef and they’ll tell you that duck fat is like liquid gold. This decadently flavored fat will give your roasted potatoes a flavor that far exceeds that of olive oil or even butter.
5 pounds of baby yellow potatoes, halved
1 cup of duck fat
3 – 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
Sea salt, to taste
Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
1. Toss the baby potatoes with the duck fat.
2. Strip the leaves from the sprigs of rosemary and chop.
3. Season the potatoes with the rosemary, salt, and pepper.
4. Roast in a 450 degree oven for 25 minutes, flip, and roast for another 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
There you have it. Elegant Christmas side dishes don’t have to be difficult to be delicious. These recipes are incredibly easy and taste incredibly decadent.
Enjoy and have a very Merry Christmas!