Growing up, I had sisters and aunts who taught me about make-up and how to apply it. I see so many women running around today with caked-on, over-done make-up. I was taught that make-up was supposed to look natural and was meant to enhance the natural beauty that we all have. For that reason, I am providing step-by-step instructions on how to create a look that will draw men in with your natural beauty rather than over-done make-up.
1) Start simply by washing your face with a gentle face wash. I personally use Aveeno but use whatever brand suits your skin type.
2) Before adding any moisturizer or make-up, let’s get rid of those little baggies we all get under our eyes. Use some hemorrhoid cream; just a little dab will go a long way. The result is instant!
3) After treating those nasty under-eye bags, take a pea-sized squirt of facial moisturizer (again, use what is best for your skin-type). Add in a pea-size squirt of liquid foundation (suited to your skin tone) and mix the two together. Use a sponge to apply to your face. Use long strokes and take it all the way to the hairline and under your chin and down your neck. This will prevent those obnoxious make-up lines. Make more if need be (I usually have to use about 2 pea-size squirts each).
4) Once the moisturizer-foundation mix has been applied, it is time to apply the powder foundation. For this, I recommend using a large make-up brush. This generally prevents clumping and caking on the skin. The powder foundation minimizes shine.
5) Now we have finished with the basics. At this point, we move on to the eyes, cheeks and lips. We will start with the eyes. For blue or green eyes, I recommend going with pinks and browns. They bring out the eyes without over-shadowing them. Brown eyes go better with earth-tones such as copper and taupe. Now, for the green or blue eyes use a brown eye-liner. Brown eyes should use a gold or copper eye-liner. For the brow bone, use a very light color and use a darker shade for the eyelid. Blend them with a small make-up brush. The eye-liner should be brown or gold and used on the lower lid. To add a little flare, use the liner on the corner of the upper lid. Use clear mascara to enhance your natural eyelashes. Black or brown mascara can clump whereas clear won’t and it’s less obvious that you’re wearing any.
6) For the cheek bones, I use Physician’s Formula Blushing Natural Powder Palette Multi-Colored Blush. Just use what goes best with your skin tone. Below is a chart for matching skin tones and blushes. Now, blush is applied differently to different face-shapes. The first thing you need to do is find the apples of your cheeks. Do this looking in the mirror and smiling. The biggest (puffiest) part of your cheeks are your apples. Now, for an oval face, apply blush directly to the apples of your cheeks. For a more square face, use multi-toned blush and concentrate the brighter shade on the apples and brush straight out toward the temples. To create a more round look, very lightly apply blush from your chin to just below your ears. If you have a round face, apply blush just above the apples and blend toward the thin of your face then lightly apply blush just below the cheekbone and blend down toward the jaw line. This will create a more natural look. Now for the last shape – round. Apply blush directly to the apples of your cheeks and blend outward toward your ears. Next, lightly dust the middle of your forehead and along your chin line.
Skin Tone – Blush Colors
Fair skin – Pale pink, pale rose, coral
Golden skin – Peach, dusty rose, pale cranberry
Olive or Asian – Warm pinks, warm plums
Tan or brown – Bronze, apricot, raspberry
Dark or black – Magenta, gold, red
7) For your lips, natural is always the best way to go. Get rid of the high-gloss colors and glittery colors. To figure out what is the best for your lips, apply the color to the back of your hand between your thumb and pointer finger. The color that blends well is your natural color. To add a little flare, use a clear gloss over the lip color. NEVER use lip liner. It is always obvious and never subtle.
Now we’ve taught you all the ways to enhance your natural beauty without going overboard on make-up and ending up with a caked-on look. Take before and after pictures. Apply make-up the usual way and then follow our instructions and see the difference. Your new natural look will “wow” you and definitely catch that special-someone’s eye.