Corey Haim’s death has spawned many conflicting reports on possible causes. Haim died early Wednesday morning of what police assumed was an accidental drug overdose. It is only natural that drugs would be the first consideration in Haim’s death due to his lengthy history of addiction.
Haim, 38, had been in and out of rehabs 15 times and in 2001 he had a drug induced stroke reports RadarOnline. His cause of death being a drug overdose was the first thought that came to everyone’s mind when the news came out of his passing.
Wednesday many people spoke out about Haim’s recent success in his private war against drugs. Friends and co-workers have reported that Corey Haim’s was indeed doing well and adamant about staying away from the drugs.
At the time of his death Haim was filming a movie, in which he had a starring role, according to an article by TMZ. “The Dead Sea” producer, Rick Tucker, said yesterday that Corey had been doing a great job while working on this movie. Tucker said that Haim appeared to really be invested in staying away from the drugs. In fact in the contract for the movie Haim requested that a clause be inserted promising to keep the set of “The Dead Sea” free from alcohol and drugs. Haim reported he did not want to work around any temptations.
Corey’s mother reported to the press yesterday that her son was staying with her while she was fighting cancer. She told RadarOnline that she did not believe her son died of a drug overdose. She said Corey had been sick in the last few days with flu like symptoms. The day before his death, she had a doctor come to her apartment to check on her son who was running a fever at the time.
Early Wednesday morning, Corey got out of bed and was standing over his mother. She woke up to him telling her that he was having a hard time breathing. He collapsed to his knees and she called 911. It took 20 minutes to the paramedics to get to Haim, who was alive, but very weak when they arrived. He was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Pulling all this information together can give us one possible scenario for the star’s death. Corey’s mother, who was battling cancer, would most likely be on narcotic pain medication to relieve the pain that normally comes with this disease. The police did say they found four prescription in the apartment at the time of Corey’s death, but no illegal drugs were found.
Is it possible that Corey Haim was tempted by the medication that was in his mother’s apartment and took some of her prescriptions? Narcotic medication does suppress the respiratory system and would indeed render someone with difficulty breathing if too much had been taken. If Corey had months of sobriety under his belt, as friends and co-workers have reported, his tolerance to drugs would have been greatly lowered than it was at the time he was actively using. If he did take some type of narcotic medication, he may have taken a dose that he had been use to when he was actively using. This would explain an accidental overdose of drugs causing his death.
This is purely speculation, but it would be a rational explanation for all the conflicting reports surrounding his drug use and death. There is only one way to get the answer to the question- What caused Corey Haim’s death? This will happen when the autopsy and toxicology reports are completed.
References: TMZ, RadarOnline