After a girls’ night followed by a guys’ night, America voted for their Top 20 American Idol 2010 contestants. And did a good job except for one upset. The girls were the first to learn their fates; the guys were next.
Janell Wheeler and Ashley Rodriguez garnered the fewest votes and are leaving the singing competition. Joe Muñoz and Tyler Grady are also leaving. 70s rocker Tyler is the upset. He’s too good to go home. Skilled but boring Jermaine Sellers should go in his stead.
Here are America’s Top 20 singers for American Idol 2010, in the order of learning their fates-
Top 10 Girls
1. Siobhan Magnus is a dark horse. She is impressive with her deep big beautiful voice and exotic looks. She is heading for the Top 10.
2. Haeley Vaughn is a sixteen-year-old sweetie who is highly creative and original. She has a great smile. If she works on using her voice better, she’ll make the Top 10.
3. Michelle Delamor is a beauty with a great voice. But the diva stuff is old hat. She needs to come into her own. She is an American Idol package. If she steps it up, she has a chance to go far.
4. Katelyn Epperly is another American Idol package. She’s very talented. She could make the Top 10.
5. Katie Stevens looked as if she would cry. It was between her and Janell Wheeler for leaving the show. Katie blew it on girls’ night-for the first time on the show. She’s lucky she’s safe but she’s also determined. She won’t blow it again.
There was a talent break here-Allison Iraheta from American Idol 2009 sang. She was in top form in voice, looks, and performance.
6. Paige Miles should linger in the Top 20 for a while. She in fact may be another dark horse and make it into the Top 10. It depends upon her next performance.
7. Redhead Lacey Brown seemed surprised that she made into the Top 20. I like her but will be surprised if she makes into the Top 10.
8. Lilly Scott is creatively the same for each performance. It’s time for her to be creative in a different way.
9. Power-voiced Crystal Bowersox disappointed slightly on girls’ night in light of what she can do. She should forget the tame songs and go for the Janis Joplin raw-emotion songs. Not many singers can do those.
10. Didi Benami usually pours her heart and soul into every performance. She didn’t on girls’ night-which is why she just squeaked into the Top 20 over Ashley Rodriguez. She will have to return to crying tears if the tears are the heart and soul of her song.
Top 10 Guys
1. Michael ‘Big Mike’ Lynche made it into the Top 20 even though his performance on guys’ night was not up to his usual par. But he is undoubted Top 10 material.
2. John Park is awesome. The only judge who saw that on guys’ night was Ellen. It’s about time American Idol has a guy with a deep voice. I want to see John in the Top 10. Who can forget how during his first audition, Shania Twain raved about his ‘beautiful bottom-end’, ‘nice lips’, and ‘good head’. Kara went ga-ga over him, too.
3. Aaron Kelly was surprisingly good on guys’ night. The judges said he lacks confidence. Aaron may not come across as cocky but he looked confident to me.
4. Todrick Hall, a seasoned performer with looks and dance talent, he needs to showcase his vocals more.
5. Tim Urban was shocked and disbelieving upon hearing he’s in the Top 20. Joe Muñoz goes home instead. Tim has serious tween appeal. He could be in a boy band if he can dance. Or in a TV sitcom.
The second talent break was Kris Allen, American Idol 2009 winner. A plug for American Idol Gives Back was made and a clip of Kris with kids in Haiti was shown. Kris sang the Beatles’ ‘Let It Be’. He’s a guy who’s made it solely on his tween appeal, perhaps with a few approving mothers and grandmothers thrown in.
6. Full-blown hunk Casey James is my favorite to win American Idol 2010 based on his extraordinary talent. The musician is a hypnotic appealing performer. Kara’s husband showed up in the audience tonight. Possibly to keep a watch on Kara and her stable of American Idol hunks, which includes Casey James and John Park.
7. Jermaine Sellers is skilled but boring. Send him home, please.
8. Lee Dewyze deserves to be in the Top 20. His performance on guys’ night was shaky though.
9. Andrew Garcia suffered slightly on guys’ night. His performance was lacking. But he should make the Top 10. He has a great silvery full sound. When he’s on, he’s on.
10. Alex Lambert had a strong, strong performance on guys’ night. He has a unique voice-a male Bonnie Tyler sound but clearer and certainly deeper. He’s likeable, too. He squeaked into the Top 20 over Tyler Grady.
The six whom I favor for the Top 10 thus far are: girls Siobhan Magnus, Crystal Bowersox, and Katelyn Epperly; guys Casey James, Big Mike Lynche, and John Park. 2010 is a good American Idol year with Season 9 even though it does not promise to come anywhere near up to the climactic Season 8 when creative genius Adam Lambert kicked ass-and drew the rock-and-roll greats into not only watching but also performing on American Idol. Stuff like that happens just once in a millennium.
Top 12 Girls Night; Top 12 Guys Night.