Thursday March 4, 2010. ‘American Idol last night’. After a guys’ night followed by a girls’ night, America voted for their Top 16 American Idol 2010 contestants. And did a good job except for one upset. The guys with the fewest votes were the first to learn their fates.
Guys’ Swan Songs
Between Todrick Hall and John Park, John leaves the singing competition after tonight. He is the upset- he should be staying. For his swan song, John reprised last night’s ‘Gravity’ by John Mayer.
Between Andrew Garcia and Jermaine Sellers, Jermaine is leaving the competition. For his swan song, he reprised last night’s ‘What’s Going On’ by Marvin Gaye.
Girls’ Swan Songs
Between Didi Benami and Michelle Delamor, Michelle is going home. She proceeded to prove America right in their low votes for her by doing a poor job on her swan song ‘With Arms Wide Open’ by Creed. Michelle is an inspiring woman but may not have a career as a solo singer.
Between Lacey Brown and Haeley Vaughn, Haeley is going home. She did a tearful but poor rendition of her swan song ‘The Climb’ by Miley Cyrus. The sixteen-year-old high school student shines on stage and she’s musically creative but her vocals are poor.
Here are America’s voted-in Top 16 singers for American Idol 2010, in the order of learning their fates from host Ryan Seacrest-
Top 8 Guys, Part 1, and the songs that helped keep them in the competition.
1. Tim Urban, 20, Duncanville, Texas. ‘Come on, Get Higher’ by Matt Nathanson.
At this point, Todrick Hall was asked to stand up.
2. Michael Lynche, 26, St. Petersburg, Fla. ‘It’s a Man’s Man’s World’ by James Brown.
3. Casey James, 27, Fort Worth, Texas. ‘I Don’t Want to Be’ by Gavin Shane DeGraw.
At this point, John Park was asked to stand up, next to Todrick-who learned he was safe.
4. Todrick Hall, 24, Arlington, Texas. ‘What’s Love Got to Do With It’ by Tina Turner.
Top 8 Guys, Part 2, and the songs that helped keep them in the competition.
5. Lee Dewyze, 23, Chicago, Ill. ‘Lips of an Angel’ by Hinder.
6. Aaron Kelly, 16, Sonestone, Penn. ‘My Girl’ by The Temptations.
7. Alex Lambert, 19, North Richland Hills, Texas. ‘Everybody Knows’ by John Legend.
8. Andrew Garcia, 24, Moreno Valley, Calif. ‘You Give Me Something’ by James Morrison.
American Idol finalist from Season 8 Danny Gokey, who has gone country-western, performed ‘My Best Days Are Ahead of Me’ from his new album My Best Days. Like Danny, one of the songwriters also lost a young wife- a fact that Danny hadn’t known until after choosing and recording the song.
Top 8 Girls, Part 1, and the songs that helped keep them in the competition.
1. Lilly Scott, 20, Littleton, Colo. ‘A Change Is Gonna Come’ by Sam Cooke.
2. Paige Miles, 24, Naples, Fla. ‘Walk Away’ by Kelly Clarkson.
3. Katie Stevens, 17, Middlebury, Conn. ‘Put Your Records On’ by Corinne Bailey Rae.
4. Didi Benami, 23, Los Angeles, Calif. ‘Lean on Me’ by Bill Withers. Didi was stunned to learn that she rather than Michelle would remain on the show.
Top 8 Girls, Part 2, and the songs that helped keep them in the competition.
5. Katelyn Epperly, 19, of West Des Moines, Iowa. ‘The Scientist’ by Cold Play.
6. Crystal Bowersox, 24, Elliston, Ohio. ‘Long As I Can See the Light’ by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
7. Siobhan Magnus, 20, Cape Cod, Mass. ‘Think’ by Aretha Franklin.
8. Lacey Brown, 24, Amarillo, Texas. ‘Kiss Me’ by Jewel.
So, here we are with our Top 16, which means three more guys and three more girls are going home before the singing competition has its Top 10.
AI 2010 Top 10 Guys’ Night Very Good- Girls Have to Catch Up, Bowersox Hospitalized;
AI 2010 Top 10 Girls: Stars Are Crystal Bowersox, Siobhan Magnus, Katelyn, & Lilly shine;