With the 2010 Vancouver Olympics in full swing, chances are you and your family are paying close attention to the sporting events. Young children are often excited by the olympics, and look up to the athletes they see competing. Creating olympic themed crafts with your children is a great way to engage your children in the sporting events while spending quality time with them. Here are several craft ideas for the 2010 Winter Olympics that you can make with your children.
These medals will make your children feel like true Olympians. To make a craft Olympic medal you will need:
1. Cut a medium sized circle out of the cardboard.
2. Wrap the cardboard circle tightly with gold foil.
3. Glue both ends of all three colors of ribbon to the back of the foil covered circle. Allow the glue to dry completely before allowing your children to wear their medals.
Foam Ice Skates
This is a great craft for both boys and girls. You may choose to create figure skates or speed skates.
Two Colors of Craft Foam
1. Trace the shape of the foot part of the skate onto one color of craft foam.
2. Trace the blade part of the skate onto the other color of craft foam.
2. Cut out both parts of of he skates.
2. Glue the pieces of the skates together.
Add extra details to the skates using craft gems, ribbon, paint markers or stickers. Glue a magnet onto the back of each skate to create adorable magnets for your refrigerator, or punch a hole from the op of each skate and loop an ornament hook through the hole to create a Christmas ornament for your tree.
These cute headbands are the perfect way to commemorate the Olympic games while cheering on Team USA.
1. Measure and cut a piece of red felt that is equal in length to the circumference of your child’s head. If you are using a sheet of felt, you may need to use two pieces. The felt should be about 4 inches wide.
2. If you used two pieces of felt, apply a line of fabric glue along one edge of one piece of felt and stick the edge of the other piece to is.
3. Loop the felt around and apply a line of fabric glue along one edge. Stick the other edge over it to seal the headband together.
4. Use a pen to trace the words “USA 2010” on he white and blue felt. Alternate the letters and numbers between the two colors.
5. Cut out the letters and numbers from the felt.
6. Use the fabric glue to glue the letters and numbers onto the front of the headband.
Pipe Cleaner Skier
These are very simple crafts to make if you have extra pipe cleaners laying around the house. Twist the pipe cleaners around to create the head and body of the skier, and twist two pipe cleaners onto the feet of the skier to make the skis.